Even outside of California’s current drought, there are multiple ways that congregations and people of faith are reducing and conserving water. Below are a few measures being employed plus excellent websites offering more ideas. Please make sure to check in with your local water utility; they’re sure to have information and perhaps even incentives for water-reduction efforts.
1. Replacing lawns with beautiful drought-tolerant landscaping
2. Using permeable concrete which allows rainwater to flow into aquifers below
3. Using low-flow toilets and waterless urinals
4. Employing aerators on faucets to reduce water flow
5. Turning off tap while brushing teeth or lathering up
WEBSITES OFFERING FURTHER TIPS ON WATER CONSERVATION IN THE CONGREGATION AND HOME:
1. Save Our Water, a statewide program from the California Department of Water Resources
2. Water Use It Wisely, full of information and conservation tips
3. Earth Easy, 25 ways to conserve water in the home and yard.
4. Plumbing – Water Conservation At Home, great tips and links for water conservation
Water tips from major California water utilities:
Contra Costa Water District
Fresno Water Division
Kern County Water Agency
Los Angeles Department of Water & Power
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
Pasadena Water & Power
Sacramento Department of Utilities
The City of San Diego
San Francisco Water Power Sewer
Stockton Municipal Utilities
Click here to locate your water district and see their water-saving tips.
We’re confident that the California faith community will be at the forefront of protecting our state’s precious water resources!